Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

If I had Pilgrim Powers...

What I'm Listening To: 21 by the Cranberries

Our power went out yesterday for nearly the whole day. I'm not sure if this was meant to instill a healthy respect of electricity in me, but it worked. A lot. In fact, I love electricity so much that I think I could compose a whole sonnet about it for you now. Or a haiku. Maybe even free verse, but I'll spare you from that. You are also spared from the super loud singing of "Hallelujah" that I've indulged in right now. The problem for me was that even though I had planned to take a break from typing my book, blogging, and other work to save my hands, I couldn't do anything. No TV or movie watching, no reading except by candle or flashlight, eating outside to have more light, stopping myself from the telltale reflex to flip on a light--I just felt antsy. Finally, after annoying my family, I stopped trying to read while holding a flashlight on by inserting it into the crevice of my arm or knee and just left my house and walked. And walked. But in reality I only walked over to the nearby park and utilized the swings. I hadn't been to a park in a while, much less sat in a swing and it felt nice in the cool air to swing into the night.

Honestly, I've become very comfortable, almost dependent on electricity. Much of my day (and apparently relaxation time) centers around the ability to have light or for machines to function. I seriously wonder how the Pilgrims or settlers were able to just live outside. I mean I know that they had their little candles and lanterns, but come on. Did they just feel their way around  things (I stubbed my toe twice) or just become comfortable with looking like anything when they headed out for the day? I bet that is the reason why they all had bad eyesight. That's just common sense, not statistically speaking or anything. It also makes me think about the types of electricity and power that we have now and what happens when it all goes away. I guess I'd better start working on my pilgrim powers right now so that I can be ready whenever that day comes.