Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Faith Sans Staicase (& Snowboarding)

What I'm Listening To: Flora's Secret-Enya
"Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true"-Dr. King

My body has finally recuperated from snowboarding at the Tyrol Basin. It was my first time and so naturally there were about 500 million spills and excruciating pain that lasted for a week after. I now know how Sir Euric von Leichtenstein/William Thatcher felt when he was getting his arm set back into his socket and in that bedroom scene right after he finished "jousting for true love" (and if you don't know this reference from 'A Knight's Tale' SHAME, see the movie, if not for Heath Ledger alone) After mastering the art of getting up on the snowboard (and I still can't do it normally-I have to roll over onto my knees and get up backward) which managed to take almost the entire day, I finally managed to snowboard down one of the hills. It was the greatest feeling ever, even though I still have no sense of balance what-so-ever and due to my knees bleeding into the snow, I had to cease perfecting the art. Although it was fun while it lasted, I believe that winter sports are ridiculous. For me, the difference between the Winter and Summer Olympics is that normal people have a chance to do the Summer Olympics while Winter Olympics are based off of skill, and you could basically murder people. Think about it--and I'm sure that there are studies done on this--how many more people die in the Winter Olympics than Summer Olympics. You could off someone in speed staking, the toboggan could malfunction, you could die doing a trick in snowboarding. The people who do these sports are reckless, I salute them.

Today is the celebrated Dr. Martin Luther King Day. It is so easy to go to the "I have a Dream Speech" as the example for what Dr. King is most known for, but I would challenge people to go investigate further. Educate yourselves. This was an extraordinary man who didn't just have DREAMS, but he was also a man of ACTION. It is very important to combine the two if you are to have any meaningful affect on our world. This man was a revolutionary in every sense of the word, but one of the most successful examples of how hate and violence don't have to be the fuel for a revolution. Understanding and love are pivotal examples of how society can work together without divisions, animosity, and past man-made horizons.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase"- Dr. King