Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Waldo Wednesday: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

What I'm Listening To: Secrets-One Republic

This is the start of a new series in which I decided to start to indulge my escapist attitude. Sometimes (well usually most of the time, I wish that I were on vacation somewhere. Sometimes the locations are exotic, but they don't have to be.They just need to be anyplace that isn't Wisconsin. Starting now, always on Wednesdays, I will post where I feel like going in any given week. This week it's Rio de Janeiro. Why Rio you ask?


















Britannica Online



























Why NOT?!

Rio de Janeiro is so awesome that it's going to be hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics and the final match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup. How awesome is that? Popular attractions are the Pão de Açúcar or "Sugarloaf Mountain" to enjoy an awesome view of the city, Corcovado (which has an enormous statue of Christ the Redeemer on top of the peak), the amazing Theatro Municipal for opera, ballet and much more, Petropolis is where you can see the imperial palace, and also try to see the Museum of Modern Art. If you have your heart set on going to Rio, you can find in depth travel plans based on the amount of time that you are spending there here. Also, I hear that New Year's Eve celebrations there are astounding and all of the people are dressed in white, there are fireworks and light displays, and apparently a lot of chanting.