Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Men Don't Cry in Egypt

What I'm Listening To: Pop-NSYNC

...I mean they don't cry in general. Alyssa Milano (Phoebe from Charmed--watch it!) tweeted this a week ago and it intrigued me. I know, I'm really late, but I wanted to post about it anyway. Oh, and disclaimer, my posts are going to become slightly more journalistic (hopefully) because I'm supposed to be staying up on current events--which I am horrible at--for my journalism class.

The post basically detailed the five situations in which guys are allowed to cry. I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Technically, society stigmatizes crying in general as a sign of weakness. I've bought into it yes. If we were to examine this further, there are a couple of downfalls to crying. There are only a few people who can do it and get away with looking cute. It makes your sinuses start to run and then you can't breathe (or at least I can't right after doing it), your eyes get red, your voice gets whiny, and you sound absolutely incomprehensible while crying. However, guys can be sensitive without crying. There is a limit, but the question is, should there be a limit to the amount that men are able to cry? Interesting concept. I'm not sure. I'm in the camp where men should not be afraid to cry when necessary, but there is a line. Somewhere. It's hidden and very thin, but there somewhere.

Egypt-oh boy. I've only heard/seen snippets and pieces (sad I know, yes it's all over the internet) and I am determined to fully educate myself by tomorrow. However, it seems sad that people are revolting because their government seems Americanized to them. Go figure. And the police are joining in as well. When you have the police on your side in a revolt, it's a guaranteed foot in the door. Obviously, this is a really simplified and blase view of the whole situation, and why I seriously need to educate myself more. But to be fair, I'm most likely going to be doing something in PR and not in Journalism...