Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

The Packer

What I'm Listening To: Yours To Take-Jimmy Needham

"Light at the end of the tunnel? We don't even have a tunnel; we don't even know where the tunnel is."- Lyndon B. Johnson

I've been doing a lot of moving in the past week and I've taken note of something. I do not know how to pack efficiently. Whenever I go somewhere, even if it's for a couple of days, I always end up with a suitcase full of clothes that I probably don't need or extra things that I think I need. I justify it by saying that I need options or I might not want to wear what I've packed, but in reality I probably have a phobia of packing light because I think I might be forgetting something. 

My mom is a light packer. If we are in a pinch on a road trip, somehow she always manages ending up with the smallest bag or packing her things into my dad's suitcase. Dad is a careful packer. He packs a medium load, making sure that he has only what he needs and maybe one or two extra things. My sister is the forgetful packer. Usually, everyone will forget their toothbrush and toothpaste or something small, but my sister will forget this and then some so we always end up having to buy her things when we get to our destination. My brother is like me and packs a lot of things that he doesn't need but he makes up for this by those things not being clothes, just shampoo or cologne or shoes. Someday, hopefully I'll turn into a medium packer, but it's almost like a reflex to over pack because I feel like I'll need all of the things. Ah well.